Monday, March 7, 2011

Day 8: Journey from the North Island to the South Island

We started our morning saying good-bye to Susie and Alan at the Manuka Lodge.  I will definately miss it there.  Susie did my laundry for me.  You have no idea how much it means to me to have someone else do my laundry.  I almost had a tear drip from my eye.

Our journey started with a three hour drive to Rotorua.  The drive, as usual, was spectacular!  We at least had the opportunity to drive by the Tongariro Crossing since we didn't get to hike it.  I took a wonderful picture of the dreaded Mount Doom, stating that I will post the picture and label it as the place we DIDN'T get to hike.  My attempt at humour seemed to allude Brian as he chastised me for my negative attitude.  I thought I was being funny.  Apparently not.

Anyway!  We made it to Rotorua in a short time and had ample opportunity to thoroughly explore the tiny Rotorua airport.  During his time at the airport, Brian decided to start a new business venture.  He was approached by a gentleman, asking if he wanted to make $50.  Brian envisioned the latest episode of "Locked Up Abroad," and said "Sure!  What do you need?"   It seemed the man need transport of something very special to the Christchurch Airport and Brian was just the right person to fulfil this important mission. 

After checking with airport officials to ascertain exactly what kind of jail time he could expect to receive for the transport of illegal substances, Brian proudly marched on board our flight with a small cooler filled with ... horse semen!  Yep.  You read that correctly.  Brian is a horse semen transporter!  We're still laughing about it now!!!  You will be too!!

After changing planes in Christchurch (an no, we couldn't see any damage from the air), we arrived in Queenstown.  Queenstown is the tourist meca of New Zealand, which means everything is uber expensive.  The 10 minute cab ride from the airport was $40 dollars!!!!  Can you believe it!?!  Thank goodness for Brian and his semen or we might not have been able to afford the cab to the hotel!!!  I'm sure Brian's semen will continue to come in hand on many occasions during the rest of our journey!  (Yep.  I'm writing this with a strong glass of cider running through my system.)

The South Island is quite different from the North Island.  I find it rather surprising that two islands only 20 miles apart can be so vastly different.  From the little bit that I've seen of the South Island, the landscape looks very similar to Switzerland.  I'm looking forward to getting out tomorrow to thoroughly explore my surroundings to get a better feel for my new home away from home.

Tomorrow we head off to Te Anau to get ready for the Milford Track. 

No comments:

Post a Comment